Greenrock Real Estate Advisors is currently recruiting for a Corporate Controller
to join our team, for a one-year maternity-leave contract position, beginning mid-February 2019.
Greenrock's roots in Canadian real estate date back over 50 years as a developer, and owner of landmark properties throughout the Greater Toronto Area and south of the border in Florida. Since 2010, Greenrock's real estate services and advisory business has worked with tenants, owners and investment organizations to provide stewardship, deliver expertise and unlock value in millions of dollars of real property assets. Greenrock's commitment to making great places to live and work for residents and tenants is supported by its promise to provide exceptional experiences each and every day through a thoughtful approach to real estate services focused on people, innovation, stewardship and social responsibility.
The Greenrock Corporate Accounting and Finance and Investment team provides a center of excellence for services in the disciplines of accounting, treasury management, acquisition and disposition transactions, corporate tax, capital management, investment management, risk management, financial data applications and business solutions for the organization.
Your solid finance and accounting experience and technical skills will be critical for you to bring insights into our organization. You have always been committed to the idea of continuous improvement and service, and will collaborate with others to resolve issues that cut across teams. A strong communicator and natural business partner, you will liaise with functional teams across Greenrock and build relationships with our stakeholders.
Reporting to our Chief Financial Officer, this role is responsible for managing the corporate finance and accounting team to ensure that all financial and administrative functions are conducted in an efficient, timely, and accurate manner.
Your new position encompasses the following key responsibilities:
- Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives.
- Complete operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees; follow up on work results.
- Recruit, train and mentor employees.
- Maintain staff performance results by coaching, mentoring, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Manage outsourced functions related to accounting and finance.
- Oversee all accounting operations including internal control systems, and policies and procedures.
- Comply with federal, provincial, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Research technical accounting issues for compliance.
- Review all monthly reconciliations in coordination with accounting team.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Work with the accounting team – ensure an orderly accounting filing system; paper and electronic.
- Develop, maintain and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls over accounting transactions.
- Review invoices to be paid, including review of any documentation that is attached to cheques for approval and accuracy.
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of the budgets and financial forecasts and report significant variances on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Review and report timely annual financial statements.
- Provide status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
- Prepare special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
- Provide financial analysis as needed, in particular for capital investments, net operating income review, and contract negotiations.
- Prepare quarterly and annual Board reporting.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for all corporate and property audits.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Comply with government reporting requirements and tax filing.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies.
- Maintain the utmost privacy and confidentiality with regard to all financial, client information, and employee information.
You are someone with:
- A University degree
- A CPA designation
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in corporate finance, accounting, controllership, real estate, business support, and internal managerial reporting
- Strong analytical skills with a good understanding of accounting principles and practices
- Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, leadership, and collaboration skills
- Ability to multi-task in an efficient and controlled manner
- Ability to delegate responsibility, solve problems quickly, and communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Strong customer service orientation
Diversity and inclusion are an integral part of our culture. Attracting, developing and retaining a workforce that reflects the diversity of our clients, tenants and communities is essential to our success. We are committed to providing a respectful, inclusive and accessible work environment where all employees have the opportunity to achieve their potential.
Please e-mail your resume to email@example.com referencing "Controller" in the subject line of your e-mail. We thank all applicants in advance for their interest, however because of time constraints only those under consideration will be contacted to move forward.